Clover's Field

I signed up to post on a blog and got my own. Who knows where this may lead?

Dating

Free Online Dating from JustSayHi

Sunday, July 02, 2006

My Pet Goat(s)

Well, a few weeks back, Imp... tells me she is getting another goat from the lady that gave us Jasper. The woman has too many goats and hates to take them to the meat market. Then, as time draws nearer, she asks if we'll take his half sister too, with the caveat that if we breed her, we do it to one of hers and she gets the babies. Okay, cool. We bring home two 3-4 month old goats in the back of the station wagon. They've been named Rosemary and Coriander (Rose and Corey) and are slowly getting less skittish.

Well, there's this sweet old black man that raises goats that comes into my store. He gets 2 $1 lottery tickets a day to scratch for entertainment, and my standing joke has been that when he hits it big we're running off together. He comes and gets the stale bread from Subway for his goats. It seems that after Jasper was killed, he set out taming a youngster to give me. THis fellow is wild-he's a meat goat, part Boer-his daddy looks like someone crossed a mountain goat with a miniature ox-and is strong and stocky while the ones we have are sleek and skinny milk goats-alpine crosses. They are taller at 4 months than he is at 9, but he outweighs them. But I think it is so sweet that one of my customers tamed me goat because my buddy had gotten killed.

New goat is white with a brown head and neck except for a white blaze. Each foot is brown, so he looks like he's wearing shoes. He has a few brown spots on his underside. But his leaps to avoid being loaded into a station wagon, and the dogs when he got home, are incredibly powerful and graceful and reminded me of male ballet dancers. Decided he needed a dancer's name and so he has been christened Bojangles. He does not like the beagle dog, but both outweighs him and has horns he isn't afraid to use, so I think Casper is gonna learn pretty quick.

He was a good passenger until Imp... got a flat on the way home. Of course the spare is under the goat. I am left holding the goat, who is quite unhappy, next to a busy highway while she and Implet(6 1/2) changed the tire. Well, the MU's dad showed up and helped by holding the Mu, who wanted no more of this car seat, thank you very much. I am just strong enough to keep a panicking goat on a leash from running into the highway. I have to wonder what passers-by thought-two women, a man,a goat and two kids, two station wagons and a Camry perked on the shoulder of the highway. He was actually a pretty good passenger except for loading him back up after the tire was changed too. Rose and Corey have become old hands at car rides, and load pretty easily now.

This could only happen to us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home